Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Confidence in Self

Self confidence is a very simple thing for all of us.  All you have to do is believe in yourself and be yourself.

Eleanor Roosevelt's famous quote "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent" has resonated with me since I first read it several years ago.  I carry these words with me in everything I do each day. In reality by being ourselves, we put something wonderful in the world that was not there before. All you have to do is truly believe that.

For some near and dear to me, I know that their daily work lives are filled with negative comments and even being told that they are inferior at what they do.  Having been there once or twice in my day, I know that hearing it over and over again can begin to make it easy to think that there might be some relevance to it.  I say do not give into it.  You may have to hear it, as it is said in your presence, but that does not make it real. If you really stop to think about it and rationalize it, the real issue is not with you, but with the person who is saying it to you.  From my own experience, I believe when something like this happens, that it is evidence that their own self confidence is being tested, or even completely absent and they believe that projecting it on to you removes it from them.  How wrong they are.

The very reason I started this blog nearly two years ago was for me to find a way to project positive inspiration into my world because it seemed to be lacking around the various corners I would turn.  As I mentioned above, when you start to hear more and more of it, no matter where you turn, there needs to be a way or outlet to devalue it.  This was my way for myself and my hope for some others too.

Norman Vincent Peale once said; "People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.

I challenge you to be as remarkable as you know you can be, by just being who you are.  Don't change a thing about yourself, unless it is something that you know you need to do for your own personal growth or ongoing improvement as a human being.

And always remember that  "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment