Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Celebrating a New Year

It's been since just before I left for our family Christmas in Ireland that I have posted to my blog.  Seems like only yesterday, but so much "stuff" has been filled in between the lines. Regardless, by popular demand, Mark is back to his Blog.

Our trip to Ireland was awesome.  I enjoyed everything about my time away with most of the family.  I sure did miss Chenin and Sean, and of course all of my other family from afar.

Our visit to Ireland was everything I imagined and more.  It wasn't so much the spectacular lights, the sampling of many Guinness beers over dynamic and wonderful family time and conversation, the countryside or even that I was sharing all of this with our very special family.  It was experiencing the history in Belfast that will stick in my mind. Growing up, I loved studying history.  For the very first time in my life, I was able to see where the "troubles" experienced  between the Catholics and Protestants all began.  As I was at the Peace Walls and the Memorial Wall enjoying a moment of silence for those lost, it seemed to validate my often struggle with organized religion.  I know I was not alone in the power experienced in that moment in time.  Regardless, for me, it was the single most poignant moment of my Ireland adventure.

While away, I focused on me. Probably for the first time in a very long time.  I took a great deal of time to reflect on life, where I was, where it might be headed, the amazing gifts and miracles that came my way in 2011, and what I desired for my life in 2012 and beyond.  I enjoyed some very healthy moments taking stock and investing time in myself. 

Celebrating the New Year, will be just that a celebration of life.  As I was driving feverishly around Ireland and Northern Ireland with the family, having the absolute pleasure to witness history, green hills, stunning and beautiful countryside, peaceful walks and a calm pace; simplicity became my friend. 

Nevertheless, celebrating 2012 will certainly include my family, both new and "known," and some of the same things I was so fortunate to discover and experience in 2011.  As I close out today's blog, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes by Hal Borland. Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.




No comments:

Post a Comment