Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Writer's Block...with Motivation

It has been almost two weeks since my last Blog entry.  I have certainly thought about it, wanted to sit down and pen it, but before I knew it the time commitments in my work and volunteer life took over and my motivation for making free time for me to write in my Blog seems to have found its way to the back burner.  Regardless, I spent enough time thinking about the need for making time for me over the past week that I thought I better do what I preach to others and that is if something is important enough to you you will find the time...to simply make the time.

Not sure why my personal motivation has been such a struggle for me over the past couple of weeks, as I have gone great guns at work and for my professional association, but I venture to guess that, as with most of us, it is called time and that it is much easier to get on to doing something when we clearly know the reasons why we want to do it and you can identify the end result when we achieve the goal or task.  Sounds like a complicated process for a few moments of thought, but easy nonetheless.  For me it became crystal clear, I was dealing with writer's block.

I had volumes of positive news to share pre and post my New York and enjoyed being able to let the words and experience flow without any problems.  Then, long hours and days at work ensued, followed by or including the many hours involved with my pending association commitments.  So, despite my need to be watered and water others (you will recall my Blog, 'Watering the Garden...'), I did not get watered and I could not muster up the motivation I needed to take the time to water others outside my work and association life.  Regardless of how busy I found myself, I was clearly dealing with complacency and lethargy.

I woke up at 2:30 this morning, unable to get back to sleep and I knew I had been here before and while I was certain it was not going the be the last time, I knew that all I needed was time devoted to myself, which usually involved a good workout.  I also recalled that in all of my interactions with people during the course of my life that I've never found anyone, regardless of their level of commitment, who doesn't sometimes find themselves simply not wanting to do the things that they need and want to do. It is a part of human nature that there will be times that, in spite of all that we need to do, and even desire to, we will find ourselves not wanting to do anything. And what separates those who will 'get up off their behind' and do what needs to be done from those who will maintain the status-quo, is the ability at those very crucial moments of time when we are making decisions about what we will do, to choose to find the inner motivation that will enable us to conquer our complacency and move on to what needs to or should be done.

So here I am now, realizing that summer is about to come to a close and  that we are staring fall straight in the face.  We sure know what comes next here in the Midwest.  But, regardless of the cold we will experience.  I have enjoyed sharing the amazingly warm journey of the summer of 2011 for my family.  Undoubtedly it will be the most incredible journey that me an my family will take in this lifetime.  And while the year is not over, I know that there will be more incredible stories like this, as well as motivational and inspirational messages coming your way very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment