Thursday, July 14, 2011

A New Beginning

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Well, tomorrow evening, I will reunite with more family, beginning with my dad and his lovely wife, Sandy.  Not to sound like a broken record here; but it is the end of a 22-year long search for my family tree that will bring me to this moment.

How does it feel?  There are many emotions, descriptions and phrases that I could share. Some of them I have in my previous Blog posts.  However none of them trump my feeling for the love of family.  Despite moments in my past that I prefer to forget, that feeling has always been with me.

Now, whether through a miracle or an answered prayer (a long overdue response), I will begin to meet members of my new family.  I have slowly been getting to know them through calls, letters, e-mails, texts and yes even through the power of social media.  Nothing exactly a true description of all the things that Erma speaks of above, but similar in different respects and powerful nonetheless. My dad and I summed it up on our call last night as a new beginning for all of us.

We are overwhelmed, excited and nervous...all of us.  However, one clear message from everyone; confirmed in a text from my new sister, Kelly, last night, is that everyone is pleased about this new beginning and we are all hoping for our happy ever after.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment