Thursday, June 16, 2011

Love My Children

I am a very fortunate man.  I have an amazing daughter, Chenin, who was born into my life 27 years ago.  We have been a great father and daughter team over the years and  even though she has an amazing husband and life of her own, we still are today.  Also, I am honored to say very good friends too.

Was it always this way?  Not really.  Yes, we have always loved each  other, but when she was young and learning, I had to help her learn that there was more to the basic food groups than Yakasoba noodles.  So, you could say that when she was 8 years old, she did not like me much.  I was the one who had to make her eat more, including her vegetables and also to make sure she understood why it was important to do so.  She eventually got it and I know that when the day comes that she has to help her own children eat correctly, she will remember these moments, and I'll bet she will smile. Oh, there were many more parenting moments over the years too, we all have them, but we love to remember theses fun ones.

Our lives together were not always easy.  I say that because there was a time when we fought to be able to have the time to spend with each other.  What we learned through this process was that sometimes the simple things in life, really are not that simple and sometimes adults can act more like children than the children.  The good news is that as a family we all realized one day that fighting in order to have more time was really not going to get any of us very far and in the end nowhere in the eyes of a child. 

We were fortunate, as I know that there are families out there now, some very near and dear to me, who are having this same struggle now as I write this.  I offer you this.  Never give up, but be respectful of each other's space and reasoning.  Yes, it is not easy, but worth it in the end. If not for yourselves, for the future of our children.  They are innocent and ALWAYS learn from us.  That should say it all.  But, one thing is for sure, our children will never forget that you fought for what was right for them.  That memory will remain a positive constant in their lives.

Now, life has blessed me with more adult children, Meghan and Brian.  Yes, they are my partner's children by blood, but in every sense of the word, I love them and there is no doubt in my mind that I would move heaven and earth to be there for them, as I am for Chenin.  We are a family now and we are here for each other.  Yes, I know and thank God for these blessings.

I love you, Chenin, Meghan and Brian...very much.  I am always here for you.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment