Friday, June 24, 2011

Life Can Begin at Any Age

I first heard this many years ago and ironically, it was my mother.  At the time, I was not convinced that it was possible for a life to begin in the middle.  Well, I am here to tell you that it is possible.

Larnelle Harris' song "I can begin again," from a few years ago, has resonated recently with me as of late.  While the lyrics of the song refer to loss, there is only hope throughout, which can begin with enjoying and living your life with passion and seeing it through the eyes of a child.  The message is very positive and keeps us focused only on what is truly important; that we can start over again with each new day. 

It is important to put the past behind you, feel free to dream and to not be afraid to reach out beyond what you may believe is not possible, in order to capture what is possible to have in your lives.

My life is far from a song, probably closer to a Lifetime Movie as of late, but nevertheless, it began for me later in life when I realized I needed to accept the past, the things I could not change and most importantly who I was and the impact I could make not only on my life, but in the world.  It is important for each of us to realize that we impact the world in ways that we never know until we are in the present moment.

In my Blog, I have discussed "Finding My Father."  That story is far from being complete, and as promised, I will continue to share it as time goes on.  What is so significant about "finding my father," is the timing of it all.  When I least expected it, or yes, had even given up that I would ever learn anything about him, let alone that he was alive, that miracle came true and just before my brother, Jimmy was to be married. 

While difficult to comprehend at the time for both of us, when I shared the news with my older brother (the only one I knew all my life), I was able to share what I believe is a gift for him; the gift of having a father (once an improbability) and just in time for his wedding.  To beat that, it appears that our dad will be able to officiate his wedding next month, a truly amazing gift, indeed.  This will be the first time that they have seen each other in over 53 years. 

There are all sorts of emotions for me attached to my brother's wedding in July.  You see, I have had prior commitments for the last year (never knowing any of what has transpired, including this wedding) keeping me from being in a position to make the actual wedding.   Regardless, the reunion with our dad at his wedding will be a perfect gift for my brother and his wife, Trina. One very positive and emotional moment that I can only begin to imagine. 

Oh, I will be involved in one way or the other, if I have anything to do or say about it.  I do take comfort in knowing that my belief in a dream, persistence, the willingness to see life through the eyes of a child and find beauty in my life has had an impact on the lives of my immediate family, my brother, Trina, her family, our dad's family and to all of you too whom I know have a heart. 

So, I leave you with this thought.  New beginnings as not just for the young. 

This can be your impact on the world and it has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment